In a world where calling oneself a “coach” is almost the latest buzzword, I really liked this article that broke down some key things to look for in choosing a Coach:
- Coaches should not claim to solve everything, but you should be specific about what you’re looking to solve.
- Coaches should have formalized coaching training and certification.
- Coaches should be an expert or authority in the field they coach.
- Coaches are there to facilitate change, not give instructions or solutions.
- Coaches are not a substitute for counselors regarding mental health issues.
- Coaches should be additionally trained as coaches to supplement their professional training and credentials.
- Coaches are an advocate to help you accomplish your goals, but they will not do the work for you.
What are you looking to solve that could benefit working with a Coach? In what area are you stuck where a Coach could advocate the accomplishment of that goal?